Featured Post

The End (of the Beginning)

For my blog this may be the end, but as for me, it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. It is simply the end of the begi...

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

When Your Nisayon is So Overt

Purim is one of my favorite chagim. I love everything creative and crafty, and I always have a lot of fun coming up with and executing a theme for my mishloach manos and related Purim festivities.

This year while I was brainstorming, I ran a few ideas past some people. I wanted to base the shalach manos on the idea of "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone who has vodka, and make a party." I thought it could be cute and classy at the same time. Lemonade in a glass bottle, lemons, and a vodka mini. A poem about how the Jews at the time of Purim had lemons, found their way to make lemonade, and ended up having a party. 

My idea got shot down right away. "You cannot do that! It will make you seem like a bitter older single!" 

Sigh. Doesn't everyone have their struggles in life? Just because mine is so apparent, does it have to mean that I'm bitter if I make reference to life and life's struggles? Would it be different if the shalach manos was coming from someone who had a diagnosis no one knew about and it seemed like s/he was just referring to the Purim story and  life in general? Do people really assume that I think my life is so "sour" if I reference trying to make the best of a hard situation?

Perhaps this is part of the challenge –– the fact that everyone knows about it, assumes that it's hard, expects us to be sad, making assumptions how we feel. Don't get me wrong –– "hard," "sad," "challenge" –– they've all been thought about in relation to this stage in life, but does everything I do have to be connected with it? Being single isn't my only piece of identity, only reason behind everything I do. Yet, this is what happens when your nisayon is so overt.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah this is so true! Also u shoulda asked my opinion. I love that shaloch manos idea! Can I steal it?

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews