Featured Post

The End (of the Beginning)

For my blog this may be the end, but as for me, it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. It is simply the end of the begi...

Monday, September 19, 2016

The Morning After

There's always aftermath following a first date. If it's a really good date, often you may not know what the other person was thinking and you can work yourself up trying to think about what he's going to tell the shadchan about whether he'd like to see you again, or if it's more causal, whether he's going to get in touch. If it was pareve, ie. you really don't care either way, I guess that's the best scenario. Whatever happens doesn't really mean that much. Even so, every date is effort.

The worst is when it's a really bad date. Bad dates make me feel worse than never having gone out at all. I think it makes me question why whoever set us up did. What is wrong with me? Will I ever find the right one? Are there any normal guys out there? How long will I have to keep doing this? Will I ever get married, or am I destined to just continue dating for the rest of my life?

I have a friend who likes to label her bad dates as fodder for our next Purim shpiel. We all have to manage to get through it somehow. It's just hard to shake sometimes, and it isn't limited to a morning after hangover. Sometimes it lasts for weeks. It's easy to carry around.

A guy I once dated told me that for him rejections (after a few dates with someone he saw potential with) were like a 24 hour bug. He'd feel down for about a day, but then ultimately get over it. I think I can relate to that (more on rejection another time perhaps), but in saying that, maybe bad dates trump someone's (1-4 date) rejection. It's like the situation, shidduchim, or life is rejecting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews