Featured Post

The End (of the Beginning)

For my blog this may be the end, but as for me, it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. It is simply the end of the begi...

Friday, August 4, 2017

Flying Without Wings –– Guest Post

Written by a friend, this brought tears to my eyes when I first read it. (All views and opinions belong strictly to the author.) 

It was another failed mission, another deflated hot air balloon of potential matrimony. It was the constant refrain I hear whenever I try to set up a young man and a young woman. "Thanks so much but--NO!" "I really appreciate you thinking of me but--NO!" They come in all shapes and sizes, these "NO!s", but there is no getting around it. A NO is a NO and it obfuscates any hope for a yes. A NO! is the finger that snuffs out the kindling embers.

Why the heck is everyone trying to reach the NO!?

Look, I was once in shidduchim, and it was super frustrating and annoying. Especially when I was set up with guys who were so, um, NO! But for me, I felt that my effort was to seriously consider every potential guy with an ayin tova, a good eye. Instead of rifling through dirty laundry to find the NO!, I sought to discover the YES! Every person has good qualities and potential, and I wanted to find that. Every marriage requires flexibility and adaptability, so I worked to strengthen my versatility. NO! was not part of my overall vocabulary during this era in my life. There were only two young men who I turned away without meeting- one could only be described as a "well-hearted man" who "was just average" (nothing better to say?!), and the other had been raised in a certain environment that was antithetical to my values (ambiguous intentionally, as it was a red flag for me, but not necessarily for others. I also knew his family well, so it was not a blind, curtain dropping NO!) I felt that I should first get to know the guy, see the good for myself, before facing the negative facts.

My perspective: If Hashem has directed me to this young man, there must be a reason, something for me to gain from. Of course, at most times, I did not have a barrage of young men at my door. It is sometimes necessary to create a soft, nicely padded "No," for those times when options necessitate selection.

But when I try to set people up, I am met with resounding NO!s. First come the questions (how should I know how she'd react if she had a flat tire- never happened! Um, of course he'll wake up to feed the theoretical triplets when his wife is sleep deprived. Yes, naturally, she would drive to San Mateo, CA, to conduct a kiruv seminar with her husband if he was to become a world-renowned kiruv rav.) I have been shocked, but of the last 5 dates I have tried to arrange, 3 of them were NOs! because of a 3 or 4 hour driving distance.

Ah, the NO!s 

No,

Too modern.

Too bald.

Too boring.

Too loud-tie wearing.

Too shiny teeth.

Too far a drive.

Too close to home.

Too typical.

Too exotic.

Too NOT WHAT I ENVISIONED.

This is not directed to a specific person, but just some food for thought. 

WHAT IF... your intended kallah was only 4'9" and you said no because you envisioned yourself with a tall blonde?

WHAT IF your intended beshert had a prosthetic leg and you always envisioned yourself with a two-legged man?

WHAT IF your intended beshert lived outside your 30 miles of comfort and you always envisioned marrying the girl next door?

WHAT IF the reason you are in shidduchim for this period of time is to extend yourself? To find yourself beyond the parochial confines of your imagination? What if the reason you are still lonely is because you said no to your intended beshert without ever meeting him?

When I was still dating, I would debate with my friends. Why do you ask about medical issues before meeting the person? Why do you talk about emuna, faith, but try to create your own recipe for a "happy marriage" by ruling out those with certain illnesses? G-d gives life, G-d takes away life, G-d forbid. He grants health, and just as easily, he can G-d forbid take it. In a society that is very focused on emuna when it comes to income, we seem to selectively abandon our emuna in dating. Hashem can easily bring upon post partum depression to that woman who had no TRACE of it beforehand...Hashem can instantly turn a healthy person into a type I diabetic -even adult onset! Hashem can, within the blink of an eye, distort our reality. And at the same time, those who have faced serious adversity (both in the form of health issues, dysfunctional backgrounds, etc.) can be the strongest, most amazing spouses and parents out there because they have worked their entire lives to OVERCOME.

I work in a health care environment of chronic diseases, and I am always amazed by the beautiful marriages some patients have built. "Wait, you married her knowing she would need this surgery some time in the near future?" "Hang on - you CHOSE to marry him, of all eligible men, despite this debilitating disease he has for life?" Yes. Not because they were desperate, not because they were angels. But because they CHOSE to see the YES, to see the good. They overlooked the NOs, they did not seek out the NOs before getting to know the soul, the good, the strength.

Everyone should merit to marry emotionally and physically healthy spouses- of course. But the path to marriage is not straightforward for most - we have to work, struggle, grow. What better way to start off the process than looking for the positive, for the YES!

As fate would have it, I had to attest to my convictions that I had so professed to my friends regarding health issues. If I had looked for the NO!, I would never have married my husband. He had a blaring handicap that was such a NO! without even meeting him. The NO! literally opposed an item on my list of top 5 qualities because my list did not leave room for revision, for interference. It's words had strict definition. But I was intrigued. And I was determined to focus on the positive. So I said yes. Throughout our dating, I got to see the immense good that the NO! almost clouded. Intensely sensitive to others. Super-humanly hard working. Everything he had, he had to work triple hard to obtain because of his disability. And by the end of our courtship - at the start of our marriage- I said to him, "If not for your disability, I would never have married you." Not a pity marriage- never marry for pity. I saw that his weakness - his disability- proved to be the source of all his strength. I realized that my vocabulary of my list was limited. I thought that certain traits were defined a specific way, but he taught me that you CAN fly without wings. You CAN see without eyes. If not for his disability, he would not have embarked on the journey to push himself to his potential. And that is an awesome, inspiring reality.

So please- next time you want to say NO!, reconsider. It may very well be that the NO! could be blinding you from the most amazing future. Live a little, surprise yourself, and see where the "yes" takes you.

4 comments:

  1. Lol I wish the reasons I said no we're this dumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, agreed. There is a difference between "saying no" for a "dumb" reason when everything else sounds really good, and saying no because the shidduch doesn't sound like it is for you. Depending on your circumstances, stage of life/shidduchim, etc, you cannot go out with everyone. It's a much larger discussion, and I'm sure I'll get around to post about it at some point soon.

      Delete
  2. You should suggest to the author that she try to get this published in Mishpacha. It could change people's perspectives and I think it is really meaningful. - Rivka H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback!

      I had the same idea actually. We did talk about it, but I'll touch base with her and see what her current thoughts are about that.

      Delete

Pageviews