Featured Post

The End (of the Beginning)

For my blog this may be the end, but as for me, it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. It is simply the end of the begi...

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Wedding: Shaken, Not Stirred

Happy for you, but sad for me. I wish I could rejoice fully, I really really do, but it's just hard for me. Your simcha, by no means your fault, causes me pain. It rubs what I'm going through in my face, and it's compounded by how at the same time I'm losing you and the close connection we had. It isn't the same anymore when you've switched over to the other side.

Weddings are also a breeding ground of insensitivity on everyone else's part. I just want to enjoy, as much as I can, and not be constantly reminded that I'm single, and older than the kallah. Perhaps it feels like an elephant in the room, or like we're ignoring something significant, but honestly, being single isn't my identity. It's nice that someone has this idea or that for me, but truthfully, I don't want to hear about it here, especially if nothing is done to follow up and make something happen with the idea.

The how-to's of wading through seem to include the head-nodding without really listening to the shidduch blabber, gluing yourself to someone who can act as your buffer or bodyguard when things get to be too much, and of course an adult beverage. Straight up is fine; I'll take it neat if I have to. A shot or two works, or a few cocktails –– shaken, not stirred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews